Saturday, October 16, 2010

Doh! Modem on Fire!

Well, it didn't burn, but it may as well have.

Tuesday night, I was downloading the 4.0.1 patch, and actually writing another blog piece when all of my Internet-related applications started coughing and sputtering and dropping their connections.  The modem died.

Unfortunately, as I may have noted before (I honestly can't remember), I am a foreigner living in an East Asian country, so engaging Internet providers in matters of customer service is about twice as hard as it should be. Either I have to fight with foreign vocabulary that I'm not sure about, or I have to persuade somebody I know to talk on the phone with me.

And, of course, the company has totally mastered the art of bureaucratic screwing with you. I mustered my resources to make another follow up call Friday evening, and was basically told, "OK, great! Now, you need to call this different number. And oh, by the way, this number is only available Monday through Friday from 9 to 5. Haha, you are so screwed."

Yeah, it's like that. It's probably a good thing that I have never learned to curse in the local language.

So, I am just crushed that, presently, I have not been able to try patch 4.0.1. Nor do I have any ETA for when my home internet service will be restored.  I hear the patch is scaring the crap out of everybody in general, with bugs and all. But, with no home service, I can't even really read about it. Only so long I can stare at my iPhone using the mini-Safari.

Sigh, so. I'm hoping that this will get fixed sooner than later, but I'm trying to temper any sense of optimism since the ISP seems bent of crushing every sliver of it.  At this point, I hope that I have my gear replaced in time to catch the Blizzcon feed next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment